When you have 5 kids sore throats are a common occurrence. I want to share some of the natural sore throat remedies we use to help us recover quickly and give quick relief. We happen to be going through a bought of sore throats so this might be perfect timing for you too.These work great!Click To Tweet
I’ll start with some quick relief recipes and then go into some remedies to help cut down your sick time.
This post contains affiliate links which means I can earn a fee for people purchasing when they click the link (at no cost to you). Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Quick Sore Throat Relief
Gargle one of these recipes two-three times a day.
- Warm 1 cup of water, add 1 tsp. kosher or mineral salt & 1 clove of garlic that has been thinly sliced. Stir until the salt dissolves. Let it cool until it is lukewarm, add 2 tsp. honey, stir & gargle.
~ Honey is a great cough suppressant & it is antiviral (plus it helps tame the garlic flavor).
~ Salt helps kill the virus and
~ Garlic is also antiviral
2. If you don’t like the garlic try replacing it with some fresh peeled & grated ginger. Make sure you strain it out before you gargle.
~ Ginger has many benefits too. It is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory & has analgesic properties.
3. If all of that is too much gargle just plain old salt water. I remember doing this all the time as a kid.
~ salt water is great for canker sores too
4. Drink strong licorice root tea. This is one I have admittedly not tried yet. It may or may not taste like black licorice, to be honest, that is why I haven’t tried it yet. I cannot stand the taste of black licorice and I don’t want to waste it.
~ licorice root kills germs almost instantly & soothes the pain
~ I believe my local Fred Meyer carries this but you might have to go to a health food store to purchase.
5. These natural cough drops also look promising.
Sore Throat Remedies
Some of these may seem a little crazy but they work for us and there is some science behind each tip too. I encourage you to give it a try.
- Eat sweet potatoes, like these Roasted Garlic Sweet Potatoes or these Sweet Potato Nachos. Sweet potatoes are super high in beta-carotene, which boosts your immune system and can cut your recovery time in half.
2. Eat fresh pineapple (one of my favorite fruits!). There are unique enzymes in pineapple that reduces inflammation plus it heals the mucous membranes that line your throat. Unfortunately, the enzymes are destroyed in the canning process so it must be fresh if using as a sore throat remedy.
3. Taking a vitamin c supplement. I like Booster C 600 from USANA Health Sciences. This increases your virus-destroying antibodies.
4. Increase your fresh herb intake. The flavonoids help strengthen your airways and help speed up the healing process of your mucous membranes.
What are some of your natural sore throat remedies or tips that work for you? Have you heard of some remedies and are curious if they work? Leave a note in the comments and I’ll let you know if I have any experience with it.
If you found this helpful make sure you pin it below and share with your friends and family either through Facebook, Twitter or by sending them the URL to this page. Thanks!