I LOVE fresh baked bread right out of the oven! It has long since been a comfort food of mine.
I found out at the end of the day last Thursday, the 29th, that it was National Oatmeal Day! I don’t know how I missed it because I love Oatmeal! Anyway, the kids were out of school because of parent teacher conferences so we decided to experiment and made some oatmeal bread. It was definitely a good choice!
This bread is not a sweet bread. You could probably add a little honey to the batter and it would be good that way too. I liked that it wasn’t sweet though. We tried it just plain and we tried it warmed with a pad of butter and a little drizzle of raw honey over the slice and that was pretty heavenly! 😉
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bread
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 small ones)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbls chia seeds (or flax meal would be good too)
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a loaf pan.
- Combine chia seeds, flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger & salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg & vanilla, then mix in mashed bananas and peanut butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped walnuts and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bread is lightly browned.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes or so, remove from pan and allow to cool further on a rack.
I hope you enjoy your Bread!