Cravings can be the death of all of your hard work. Sometimes when those cravings come up they can derail you not just at that moment but all day or maybe even for a few days or longer.
If cravings thwart your healthy planning on a regular basis it might be a good idea to keep some healthy alternatives on hand that might help satisfy your yearnings for something less healthy.
Here are some alternatives to try when you have a hunger for something sweet:
- 1/2 cup of pineapple sprinkled with a little unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries or cherries
- 1 square of good quality dark chocolate
- Sprinkle chia seeds over fresh or frozen fruit with 1 tbsp. water and let it set in the fridge for a few hours or overnight
Maybe you have a hankering for something savory and/or salty
- A hard-boiled egg with salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes with 1 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese & a few basil leaves
- 1 slice whole-grain bread with 1 tbsp. natural nut butter
- 2 cups air-popped popcorn with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on
Some of these tips above can serve to satiate dual cravings. Here are some additional ones if you have crunchy or creamy cravings
- Fresh vegetables with hummus
- Handful of raw almonds
- Cucumbers and goat cheese
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit and sweetened with honey or pure maple syrup.
Try to have a couple of these on hand at all times because you never know what type of craving might sneak up on you. Plus chances are that some of these will work better for you than others.
Sometimes the cravings we think are are having really have nothing to do with food so try to be mindful of your heart also. Maybe it is a personal need that is not being met and really has nothing to do with needing something sweet or salty at all.
Hopefully, this gives you some good alternatives and some places to start from though and if you need further guidance please reach out to me, I would love to help!