Healthy protein is so very important, even if you aren’t a bodybuilder.
Did you know, if you are 40 years old or more your lean body mass starts to decrease by 8% each decade?!
When you have less muscle you have more flab & a slower metabolism. Unfortunately, our bodies cannot store protein like they can fats and carbs. So we can’t “stockpile” protein.
In fact, if we eat more than we need our bodies convert the protein into fat, even healthy protein. If we don’t eat enough our body will take what it needs from our muscles, only diminishing them more. Ugh!So, what do you do to fix that?Click To Tweet
If our bodies can’t store protein that means we need to eat it on a consistent basis. Making sure we get enough healthy protein at every meal but not overdoing it and going protein crazy. Otherwise, what will happen? The protein will be stored as fat, which is not what we want.
This post contains affiliate links which means I can earn a fee for people purchasing when they click the link (at no cost to you). Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Ideas On How To Get Healthy Protein In At Every Meal
- 2 Tbs natural peanut butter on whole-wheat or sprouted grain toast
- an omelet with 2 egg whites and one whole egg
- Protein smoothie like this Hot Apple Pie Smoothie
- Avocado and Egg Toast
- Whole-Grain Oatmeal, you could easily add some quinoa to this recipe and top it with natural Peanut Butter or some chopped nuts.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese with some fresh fruit, I like mine with pears, pineapple or tomatoes with a little salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup hummus with vegetables or whole wheat pita
- A small handful of nuts with an apple
- A small container of plain greek yogurt with a little honey and fruit
- Super Healthy Trail Mix
- 10 Healthy & Portable Protein Snacks
Lunch & Dinner
- Include a high protein grain like quinoa
- Add 1 cup of beans
- Fist-sized serving of a lean meat
- Rice & Beans Haystack
- Asian Quinoa Salad
- Spicy Orange Salmon
And this is only a very small list but hopefully, it will get you started on some healthy ways to get protein consistently in your body.
Make sure you eat healthy protein to keep your body young. We need that steady supply throughout the day to help maintain our lean body mass.
For those of you who would like to know, the Institute of Medicine suggests men eat at least 56 grams of protein daily, women consume 46 grams and pregnant and nursing women obtain at least 71 grams of protein daily.
If you found this tips on Healthy Protein helpful make sure you pin the image below and share with your friends and family either through Facebook, Twitter or by sending them the URL to this page. Thanks!