This is the perfect early morning breakfast because it is the perfect combination of healthy fat, protein, fiber and good carbs. Plus it is quick and easy to make too!
A lot of people know that avocado is full of healthy fats but you may not know that avocado also contains a large amount of fiber. Fiber is our friend, it can help us feel full faster and stay full longer, so we eat less in the long run.
Egg & Avocado Toast
- 1 slice sprouted whole grain bread (Ezekiel bread)
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- option toppings to try: tomato, red pepper flakes, sriracha, salsa, pico de gallo or fresh herbs
- Toast one slice of bread. Smash 1/2 an avocado and season with salt and pepper, then spread onto the toast. I like to sprinkle mine with some crushed red pepper flakes, but this is optional.
- Fry or scramble one egg in a teaspoon of coconut oil and place on top of your avocado spread. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Top with any additional toppings you like. During the summer there is nothing better than a fresh tomato from the garden, in my humble opinion. Sometimes I put fresh basil or cilantro on top of the tomato too.
- If you don’t have time to cook an egg each morning you could also keep some hard-boiled eggs on hand in the fridge. Then you would slice it up and place it on top of the avocado.
- Or if you need to eat on the go you could wrap all of the ingredients into a whole-grain tortilla (or they also make sprouted grain tortillas, they are just a little harder to find) instead of using the toast.
Why use sprouted grain bread?
The benefit of using sprouted grain bread is because it is low on the glycemic index, meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar like most other breads will.
Plus it breaks down slowly in your body, releasing sugar gradually so that it will help fuel your body long after you’ve eaten it. That way you don’t get that “sugar-high” and then the inevitable sugar crash soon after, from the influx of sugar into your bloodstream.
Here’s to hoping you find this breakfast even half as enjoyable as I do! 🙂