Last week I went to a girls “grill” night and made this salad to share. One of my friends brought a similar side dish and called it “cowboy caviar” I think that is a great name and decided to steal it, I am sure she won’t mind! I was originally inspired by this recipe.
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup sweet corn; fresh, frozen, or canned (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans; drained and rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers; diced
- 2 small tomatoes; diced
- 2 avocados; diced
- 1-2 lemons or limes juiced (about 2 – 4 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro (I love cilantro if it is not your fav. you could reduce to 1/4 c.)
- salt and pepper to taste
I didn’t have any onion but if I had I think 1/2 diced red onion or 1 – 2 shallots would have been a nice addition!
Basically you then just add all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix them together. This can be served cold or at room temp. I did wait to add the avocado and cilantro until I was ready to take the salad to the party. The cilantro can be added earlier, I had just forgotten about it. The avocado I waited for so it would look prettier but if you are just making for yourself you can definitely add it with the rest of the ingredients.
The next day I added some shredded chicken and ate for my lunchtime salad. Very tasty that way as well!