This Chicken Pita Recipe makes a great school lunch. The kids find it tasty and fun … not their typical PB & J.
Growing up we used to eat pita sandwiches all of the time. I always thought they were the best! I haven’t had a stuffed pita in a super long time and decided it was time for my kids to experience them. Thus this Chicken Pita Recipe was created.
My kids didn’t even know the pita pocket opened up, that it was hollow on the inside. It was pretty fun to see them experience their first chicken pita sandwich.Yum Yum!Click To Tweet
This post contains affiliate links which means I can earn a fee for people purchasing when they click the link (at no cost to you). Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Chicken Pita Recipe
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- pinch of salt
- sandwich toppings of your choice (tomato, cucumber, sprouts, avocado, lettuce, cheese, etc.)
- pita pocket bread (this is an Amazon link to show you what it is but it will be way more affordable to buy it at your grocery store)
Mix all of the ingredients together. Open up your pita pocket I recommend putting in any toppings first and stuffing the chicken salad in on top of them. It is too challenging to get the toppings into the sandwich after the chicken is already in there.
That’s it, now it is just time to devour it.
Notes On Making This Chicken Pita Recipe
- I would recommend using either leftover grilled chicken, like this Cilantro Lime Marinade Chicken or what I used was home canned chicken. You can download a quick pdf on how to can your own chicken here.
2. I like to use my own hummus, it is way easier than you think. Try my Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus (it is not very spicy). If you would prefer to buy your hummus I really like Hope brand. I’m not a huge fan of Sabra brand, I know it is everywhere and very popular. I don’t care for the unnecessary artificial ingredients and preservatives they add.
So tell me …. Have you ever had a stuffed pita sandwich? What were your thoughts, any favorite stuffings?
If you like this Chicken Pita Recipe make sure you pin it below and share with your friends and family either through Facebook, Twitter or by sending them the URL to this page. Thanks!