Do you know how to make healthy popsicles for kids? If you just add a few key ingredients it really doesn’t have to be very complicated.
Honestly, my kids prefer the healthy popsicles over frozen kool-aid or frozen juice.Popsicles Healthified!Click To Tweet
This post contains affiliate links which means I can earn a fee for people purchasing when they click the link (at no cost to you). Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make Healthy Popsicles for Kids
I recommend always including the following:
- A protein source, below are some good examples:
- A fat of some kind, below are some good examples.
- coconut milk
- coconut oil
- Fruits and/or veg
I like to add the protein and fat to give the popsicle a little more substance. Including protein, fat and carbs (from the fruits and veg) help keep their blood sugar (and yours 😉 ) more stable and less of a roller coaster ride.
Basically, If you’d drink it as a smoothie it would make a healthy popsicle and the kids LOVE making their own popsicles (and their own smoothies really 😀 )
I have a great example below of how to make healthy popsicles for kids
Healthy Blueberry Protein Popsicle Recipe
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- zest from half a lemon
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 serving protein powder
- honey (optional)
Throw everything, except for the honey into a high powered blender and mix until blended well. Taste to see if it is sweet enough, if not add some honey until desired consistency.
I have found it doesn’t have to be nearly as sweet as you think it does for kids to enjoy. The only time I have to add honey is if the blueberries are a little too much on the tart side.
Pour into your popsicle molds and freeze for several hours or overnight.
I wanted to share with you how to make healthy popsicles for kids with three of my favorite popsicles molds. I like them each for different reasons. When I make popsicles I usually make batches so I have tons of popsicle molds. I have other types and brands that work well but these three I fill first and use the other ones as leftovers if I need them.
I way prefer these three molds!
These are great because:
- The kids think they are super fun
- They can stand on their own so if your kid needs to set it down it will stand up instead of being laid down (getting dirty)
These don’t have to be brand specific, I just like this style
- It’s got a lid so again the kiddos can put a lid on it and set it down instead of setting their popsicles on the ground
- Mess-free – you don’t have to worry about drips down their hands and on their clothes
There are several similar products to these, just different brands and slightly different designs
- These come out like a dream. All you have to do is peel the popsicle out of it. Instead of warming it up slightly and trying to twist and pull it out of a mold
- The kids like the fun shapes
- They wash super easy! They are dishwasher safe but rinse out so easily it isn’t really necessary
Do you have any favorite popsicle molds you like to use? What about flavor combinations….? Share in the comments below.
If you like this recipe for Healthy Blueberry Protein Popsicles make sure you pin it below and share with your friends and family either through Facebook, Twitter or by sending them the URL to this page. Thanks!